East India Company - Commemorative Document

East India Company – Commemorative Document


SKU: 002817 Categories: ,


[002817] [East India Company – Commemorative Document]. Commemorative Document Marking the Departure from India of Major General Sir Scudamore Winde Steel. Madras: No Publisher, 1856. First Edition. Double Elephant. Unbound. Document. Signed. Good. Manuscript on vellum, approximately 620mm x 735mm in size.

Creased from folds, very light surface soiling, split about two inches up from bottom edge catching several signatures without loss of sense, several small holes to head catching name and the word ‘forces’, but again with no loss of sense, a few signatures lightly faded, one with an ink run, otherwise fairly clean.

Document noting the appreciation of Steel’s service in India and signed by many of his colleagues.

“Steel, Sir Scudamore Winde (1789-1865), army officer in the East India Company, was the son of David Steel (d. 1803), barrister, and his wife, Mary, daughter of Scudamore Winde, judge of the supreme court of Jamaica. He was appointed a cadet in the East India Company’s service in 1805, and became lieutenant in the Madras army on 11 September 1806. In 1808-9 he served under Colonel Doveton in Berar against the Pindaris. He took part in the Anglo-Maratha War of 1817-18 as assistant quartermaster, and was slightly wounded in the capture of one of the hill forts. He became captain in the army on 27 March 1821, and in the 51st native infantry on 1 May 1824. He was employed on the quartermaster-general’s staff at Nagpur, and in the First Anglo-Burmese War in 1826. He was promoted major in his regiment on 15 December 1832, and was secretary in the military department at Madras from 1832 to 1845. He planned and took part in the operations for the capture of Coorg in 1834. He was made lieutenant-colonel in the army on 28 July 1835, and of the 24th native infantry on 9 April 1838. On 20 July in that year he was made CB. He married the eldest daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel William Read; she died in 1849. In 1845 Steel was appointed military auditor-general, on 13 September 1847 colonel of the Madras fusiliers, and on 8 March 1849 colonel of the 18th native infantry. He commanded the Madras division of the army engaged in the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852-3, was mentioned in dispatches, and directed the column sent to Martaban in January to operate on the Salween. He was made KCB on 9 December 1853, and was appointed to the command of the Pegu division and the Martaban provinces, being promoted major-general on 28 November 1854. Steel returned to England in 1856, became lieutenant-general on 2 September 1861, and died at his home, 101 Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park, London, on 11 March 1865” (ODNB)