[Merchant Bank Trade Card]. Messrs. Wm. Brandt & Co., St. Petersburg. Messrs. Brandt Brothers, Riga. Agent in Glasgow Thomas Stevenson, 78 Miller Street. Glasgow: Allan & Ferguson, First Edition. 64mo (Oblong). Unbound. Trade Card. Good. Single sided lithographic trade card, approximately 95mm x 60mm in size, n.d.
Lightly browned and lightly soiled, with heavier browning to foot, light abrasions and stains from glue to corners of reverse where once stuck in an album.
Brandt’s was an Anglo-German merchant bank and accepting house. The Riga branch was opened in 1841 and in 1849 the Russian businesses were formed into two separate entities, with the Archangel and Riga houses breaking away from the St. Petersburg house, so this card presumably dates between 1841 and 1849 (See Orbell, British Banking: A Guide to Historical Records, page 239)
For [David] Allan and [William] Ferguson, the printers, see SBTI and Worms and Baynton-Williams, pages 14-15